Sunday, September 8, 2013

Easy Run, Sick Kids, Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

Today was my easy run of 4 miles.  Average pace 9:48.  Pretty slow, but I was exhausted this morning.  Joey and Annabelle have colds with fevers.  I slept with Annabelle last night.  She was up ever 2 hours or less crying.  Poor babies. Needless to say we were all tired and crabby today.  

Since we were house bound all day, I decided to make some homemade chicken noodle soup.  I had a leftover roasted chicken from Costco and decided to make own chicken stock.


Easy!  Carrots, celery, onion, garlic, parsley, chicken carcass, salt and pepper, and fill with water.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for 3-4 hours.  Strain stock when finished.  I then added a new chicken breast and cooked it right in the stock.  Remove when you can easily pull the chicken apart (about 45 min) and shred.  Now add the rest of your soup ingredients (basically the same as above but start fresh again).  Add your shredded cooked chicken.  I used whole wheat egg noodles, which only take about 8 minutes to cook in the soup, so add them as the last ingredient (someday I will make them homemade).  

 
Annabelle really liked it, too!


Hoping for a better night's sleep tonight. 

No comments: