Monday, August 26, 2013

First Day of School

The babes are in bed, and I feel a TIRED!  A good tired.  :)  Today we stared Annabelle's official first day of home preschool.  I am probably overly scheduled/structured, but I figure we will see how things go, and adjust to make it work for our family.  Here a few considerations for changes:

1.  Feel a little crazy being in the house all day!  Need to have a few hours to get out in the afternoon.  Condense school to morning hours.

2.  Allow for a TV show in the afternoon when we are stuck at home and Dad is at work.  I NEED the break, and Annabelle rarely naps anymore.

3.  CANNOT eat dinner at 5:30!  LOL.  I start getting "meal hungry" at 3:30!!!  4:30 is a better time for us all.

Overall, I think everything went well.  Annabelle is so fun to teach; she soaks everything up so fast.

Here is a breakdown of the day:

Mommy up at 5:15.  I was SUPER tired, and really wanted to stay in bed.  But I got up!



Dressed and getting my coffee


Reading a chapter in Faith Training every morning.  This book was given to us by our church.


I then went to our gym around 6am, a block from our house.  I had a GREAT run!  I tend to run slower in the wee hours of the morning, but I felt really good with this run.  I did 6 miles in 47:28.  I warmed up with an 8:30 mile and then ran around 7:47 mile pace for the rest of the run.  My legs don't feel sore at all today!  Very excited about this!

Got home around 7:15.  Babies still sleeping.  Big night out on Sunday.  We had our church tailgate party, so they go to bed late.


Train rides!


Joey checking out the petting zoo!  




  Since the kiddos were snoozing, I decided to make a special "first school day" breakfast - Pancakes, scrambled eggs, fresh fruit.


A little surprised and still a little tired!


They were HAPPY!  Especially Annabelle, who LOVES pancakes!

After breakfast, we did the usual morning chores and got dressed.  Then we had Bible time!  We are learning about creation, specifically days 1-3.  I stared out by saying how God created everything, to which Annabelle replied, "God made poop, Mom."  I did not really know how to respond to that, because He really did make poop.  :)  But in seriousness, she remembered all day that God made light on the first day, and even remembered most of her memory verse, Gen 1:1.



Creation "Day 1" craft

We are working on letter "K" and the number "0" this week. 


Library books to go with our schooling!


We also do about an hour of ABC mouse!  She LOVES this!!



She really picked up the concept of adding zero to other numbers to make them bigger.  She wrote "10" after we read her zero book!  Was I proud or what!?!  


Was a fun first day.  I have been told to take homeschooling one year at a time.  I think I need to take it one day at a time.  It is a lot of work, BUT very rewarding already.  

2 comments:

Amanda MacB said...

That looks like a fun day! (And any day with pancakes is always good.)

Cracking up about the poop comment. I'm glad my child is not the only one who brings up that topic.

Unknown said...

Great job mom! Sounds like a great 1st day!!! We started school last week...so far so good. Great job getting reading and a workout in before the kids are up!I definitely take home schooling one day at a time...actually, I take everything one day at a time :)! It can be very challenging...but when I feel overwhelmed I just think about how blessed I am and how good God has been to my family :)...it helps!
Your church thing looks like it was a lot of fun! Hope you have a good 10 miles tomorrow!!!