Friday, January 24, 2014

Running Update, Food Favorites

Running has been "so so" this week.  I don't like weeks when I don't see the improvement or better yet, unable to keep up with past workouts.  BUT, I was thinking today, whilst sauntering along on the dreadmill, how a runner (a really GOOD runner) needs humility to see improvement.  You cannot expect a speedy run EVERY run.  You must see easy runs as IMPORTANT runs.  You have to listen to your body, to know when to push it and when to back off.  While wanting a PR or to win a race is fine, sometimes it can consume the mind.  But as I was running today I was thinking how we are CREATED beings with limits.  Even the Olympic Sprinter Bolt, has limits.  God has NONE!  Amazing.  He is perfect, always has been and always will be.  I want to remember my CREATOR, because some day my bod is going to give out, but my heart (spiritual heart) I want strong in Him.

So, I do have a 1/2 marathon coming up first part of April.  Tomorrow I have a long run on the schedule.  My plan is 11 miles.  For me, I take a little of all the training plans and come up with my own.  One week I will focus on strong tempo runs or running a 5K or 10K all out, then next week I do 1/2 mile repeats and fartleks.  Right now I can run about 4-5 1/2 mile repeats at at 6:40 pace with a 200m recovery jog.  Sometimes my long runs are easy runs, and sometimes I turn them into tempo runs.  It really depends on the week and how I feel.  Another thing I have been doing are strides at the end of my easy runs.  I run almost all out for a couple of minutes to remind my body what it is like to run fast.  I mean, if you run a ton of easy miles, your body will get used to that.  The day before my 15k I ran 1 mile easy 2 miles 5k pace and .5 recovery jog.  My legs were fresh on race day, and 8 minute miles felt really easy to me.  Does anyone else see how the day after some speed work, you can run BETTER? (provided you did it right).

Here are some of my non-race PRs since the fall:

6mile (44:54)
5mile (36:44)
3mile (21:26)

Anyway, I would love to see my 1/2 marathon time below 1:45 which is an 8 minute pace.  Unless I have a horrible race day, I don't see why I would not get this time.  My last 15K was at 7:54 pace.   My ultimate goal is 1:39.  But that probably will only happen if the conditions of self, weather and day are perfect.

Food

I finally tried the "No Knead Bread" Recipe that was posted in the New York Times last year.   I LOVE to make bread, and mostly we don't buy store bought.  I know this is not everyone's "thang" but I really enjoy baking.  Anyway, I have a cold right now, and I was not in my typical bread baking mood, so I thought about trying out of the No Knead recipe.  Results:  FANTASTIC!  The crumb, crust, texture was perfect!  My husband thought it was a little on the yeasty side (kind of reminded me of sour dough) but I really liked it!  Basically you mix all the ingredients just until you get a sticky wet dough and then cover and rest it for 20 some hours.  This is what you get:


VERY crusty!  I LOVED that!


Soft and chewy inside.


Nice rustic free form loaf.


Look at that crumb!!!


Another dinner delight that I have made 3 times in 3 weeks (yes, THAT good), is "Chicken Yakisoba" from "Budget Bytes".  Ummmmm DEISH!  PLUS, it is SUPER healthy and SUPER cheap.  Doesn't get much better than that.  You use Ramen noodles instead of Soba noodles (toss out the nasty seasoning packets loaded with MSG).  Check out all the YUMMY veggies:


Cabbage, carrots, broccoli, onion (seriously this dish is mostly veggies but it doesn't really taste that way)


All finished and ready for my tummy!  If you like ginger and spicy this meal is your friend.
Check out the link to the "Budget Bytes" recipe


Happy Friday!

Anyone have a favorite healthy food dish?
Do you bake?
Long run tomorrow?

2 comments:

Amanda MacB said...

That bread looks awesome! I pretty much only make quick-breads, but I do sometimes make Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls (that counts, right?) and my grandma's dinner rolls. I need to get over my fear of baking bread.
Recipe hit of last week around here was cilantro lime chicken - I'm assuming it was healthy because it was chicken and veggies/fruit/spices. (But then I made it unhealthy by the tortillas I used. Oh well.)

Kristy Homan said...

Sounds DELICIOUS, Amanda! AND if you are going to have cilantro, you just have to have some tortillas! :) I love Pioneer woman! I use her recipes, but I have never tried her cinnamon rolls! Sounds super good right now. Girls night??? :)