Thursday, February 19, 2009

Spiritual Truths

"run with patience (endurance, persistence) the race set before us, looking unto Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith ... For consider Him that endured ... lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds." (Heb 12:1-3)

As I have literally been training for a race, this verse has new meaning to me. 1. I have to watch what I eat - junk causes me to run sluggish. Spiritually, I have to watch what I put into my mind - junk causes me be spiritually sluggish. 2. I have to be purposeful and already have my mind made up that I will run/train on a particular day and not just hope it happens. Likewise, I have to be purposeful in my time with God. 3. I run where I live. I run in my neighborhood and in my town. I can be used by God where I live in my town, family and where I work. 4. Some runs are long and hard and some are short and easy. The long, hard runs cause me to become stronger. The short easy runs maintain my fitness. If I ran long, hard runs every day, I would break. If I ran short easy runs every day, I would never grow. I need them both. Likewise, God will allow long, hard trials to grow me. I have no passion or excitement during these times, because I only see my weakness. He will also allow shorter, easier trials to maintain me. 5. Sometimes during a long run, I want to run faster so I can get it done. I'm impatient and don't want to wait. But when I run too fast, I burn out and can't finish it. Likewise, God wants me wait for Him. I may try to make myself grow fast so I can get over the trial. But God knows me better than myself, and I must boast in my weakness, give glory to Him and be patient in His timing. 6. I love to watch elite runners and feel very inspired to run better. Jesus is "my elite" inspiration. I must look to Him, so that I don't get weary and faint in my pursuit of loving Him and of righteousness. For I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength. 7. Sometimes when I run I think about the end of the race when everyone is at the finish line and I am met by cheer and encouragement and excitement. I don't do this all the time, because I may have a long way to go. But, it encourages me to keep going. And in our spiritual race, I should think about Heaven and seeing Jesus for the first time. I should think of seeing His face and how happy it will be if I have yielded myself to His guidance over my life. I will know Him and He will know me. How encouraging, exciting and wonderful it will be. 8. Sometimes the last thing I want to do is run. I would rather think about getting a home or spending time with Michael or taking a break. But, I try to remember that if I don't do it, I will decondition and my next run will be even harder and this might cause me not want to do that one either. Sometimes the last thing I want to do it spend time with God. But if I don't do it, I might become indifferent or not see my need for Him. I might not want to spend time with Him the next day either.

No comments: