Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jan 15, 2009 Gen 43-45

Gen 43-45
The Conclusion of the Story of Joseph

What I have learned from this story actually relates to scripture from the New Testament:

Mark 8:35
"...because whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and for the gospel will save it."

Now, I know that Joseph did not have the Gospel, but he wanted to honor God above all else. When it appeared as though he was losing his life - sold into slavery, abandoned by his own family, falsely accused, imprisoned - God was creating life in him. Joseph had to put God first and totally rely on Him. His brothers were seeking their own lives, by seeking favor first from their earthly father instead of their Heavenly Father. They hated that their father loved Joseph more than them. God gave Joseph the wealth of Egypt. Joseph did not get it himself. He simply trusted God and honored Him above everyone. His brothers, who were seeking their own ways and not God's ways, were actually in danger of losing their lives.

We do not trust God to gain wealth. He may or may not give us this. But He always gives us life. And when even just one person has the Life of Christ in their hearts and truly lives it out, that life spills over to others. This story was not about Joseph (God could have used any man in His plan), but it is about the amazing works God can do in a life yielded completely to Him.

Is my life completely yielded to Christ? Do I try to control and manipulate situations to get them the way that I want them? Do I have complete dependence on Him while knowing I am fully responsible to rely on Him? God, help me. Convict me and show me YOUR ways. "Seek first the Kingdom of God and all these other things will be added to you."

No comments: